Travel Cards

When there are no jobs in Local 118’s jurisdiction and work is available in areas represented by other locals in Canada or the US, you are eligible for a Travel Card. It will be valid for that local’s jurisdiction and for the specific job applied for.
As a member in good standing of any International Association of Heat and Frost Insulators and Allied Workers (IAHFIAW) local, you may obtain a Travel Card from your home local if you qualify for an open call.

What is a travel card?

A Travel Card is a work permit that authorizes members to work on a job in a jurisdiction other than their home local. Travel Cards are authorized by the International Association of Heat and Frost Insulators, and are recognized across Canada and the United States. You must have one to work in a territory other than your home local.

How and where do I get a travel card?

Travel Cards are issued by Local 118. To obtain a Travel Card, the local offering work must make its request to Local 118 on your behalf. You will not be issued a card unless a job has been offered.
Local 118 has contractual obligations to supply our contractors with available workers first. We will normally not issue Travel Cards when there is work available in our jurisdiction.
You are welcome to call any union local to see if work is available. Each local has its own way of seeking Travel Cards. In Canada all locals, except for Local 110 in Edmonton, call our office, place an order and we contact our members to offer them the work.

Working in Alberta

Many Local 118 members travel to Alberta to work. There are some specific requirements for getting a Travel Card for Local 110 in Edmonton.

  • You need to have a current, valid Construction Safety Training certification for the province of Alberta. If you don’t have one, you need to arrange an appointment at Local 110 in Edmonton before being dispatched. Speak to your Business Agent or Business Manager if you are interested in working in Alberta. Visit Local 110’s website for more information..
  • Local 110 posts notices of work on its website. Members interested in travelling to Local 110 must register online. Then you are expected to monitor the site and apply for jobs that Local 110 members have not taken.
  • You cannot be seeking traveller work in Local 110 and be employed at home at the same time.


Is there a cost?

There is no cost to get a Travel Card, but you must be current on your union dues to the month end of which you want to travel.
You must maintain your union dues at home (Local 118) and you will be required to pay working dues in the territory you are working in. Some locals will require you to pay a Travel Fee on top of working dues. For example, Local 118 requires travellers working in BC pay us $15 per any month they work more than 40 hours.
Travellers are also responsible to pay any assessment applied in their home local, but none for where they are working.

How and when do I return a travel card?

When you are laid off from your travelling job, you must notify the local in that territory and ask them to return your Travel Card. They will notify the International union, who will notify Local 118.
If you are moving to another job within that foreign jurisdiction you must apply again for a travel card.
While you are on Travel Card, you won’t be put on Local 118’s unemployed list, and won’t be eligible for work here.
Upon your return, you will need to phone and re-register with Local 118 for dispatch and work.

Travel etiquette

When you’re working in another local’s jurisdiction, please follow their rules. Their practices might be different than ours. Keep in mind that you’re representing Local 118. Your work and behaviour could influence whether you or other Local 118 members are invited in future.
You are a guest in their house and you should behave as if you’re a guest.
You are an extension of Local 118 and its members. What you do should be reflective of our membership. Others may or may not be invited into that territory based on your behaviour.
You must follow the local union bylaws and practices of the jurisdiction in which you go to work. Travellers do not have the ability to challenge those rules.

  • Travellers must be productive, reliable and efficient in their work.
  • You may attend the local union monthly meetings, but you have no voice or vote. It is best to stay out of another local’s business. If they want to know how we do things, have them contact our office and we will provide the information.
  • Never badmouth a local, its membership, its officers or one of its members.
  • Refrain from negative comments or opinions on social media.
  • Always follow the terms and conditions of their Collective Agreement (contract). Should you find yourself in a dispute concerning the Collective Agreement or your employment, speak with the Shop Steward on site. If no Shop Steward is on site, then speak with the Business Agent or Business Manager from that local. Do not try to manage it yourself, as you have little history with that Collective Agreement or employer.

Should you not be satisfied with the Shop Steward’s solution, then contact the Business Agent/Manager and follow their instructions. Remember that you may not reach the remedy you are looking for, and it may be different from how your home local would resolve it. Stay out of their business.
Only the Local in which you are working has the ability, obligation and right to represent you in a dispute. Local 118 cannot and will not intervene in a matter outside of our Territory.
Local 118’s policy is that a traveller is a Brother or Sister of the International. Travellers are not strangers or a lesser tradesperson and all travellers should be treated as a Brother or Sister and no different than you would want to be treated.