You must complete four years of Apprenticeship Training to become a Red Seal Certified Journeyperson Insulator. In addition to the practical training that apprentices receive on the job, you also take five weeks of theory and schooling for first and second year, and four weeks of theory and schooling for third and fourth year.

You can continue your apprenticeship with any Heat and Frost union local in Canada, and most in North America. You don’t need to complete the apprenticeship within four years. You can take time away, and return to the program when you are able.

School Schedule & Costs

If you are working for a Local 118 union contractor during your apprenticeship, they will lay you off to let you attend school. When class is finished you can go back to the job.

First and second year classes (5 weeks)cost $759.35, third and fourth year classes (4 weeks) $565.90classes cost $647.22 per year. Local 118 reimburses in town apprentices $25 per day for expenses and $50 per day out of town apprentices for each day the student attends classes If you are out of town and require accommodation, plan early. Please contact the local union for accommodation options.

You will be required to wear steel toed boots and hard hats as you would on any job site while in the shop. Other school supplies you will need are:

  • Pens
  • Drafting pencils, erasers
  • Drafting set
  • Scale ruler
  • Squares
  • “Sharp” scientific calculator
  • Large 3” binder

Any and all school supplies are available for purchase if necessary.

When you have completed four years, or 6,600 hours, of Apprenticeship Training and work, you need to write the Interprovincial Red Seal Exam. This is the final step to becoming a journeyperson.

There is a one-time initiation fee when you join as an apprentice. There is an elevation fee when you qualify as a journeyperson.

If you’re interested in travel or relocating, Local 118 has relationships with unions across North America. Our journeypersons are also qualified to work in the mechanical insulation industry all over the world.


Apprenticeship assistance

There are a number of grants and tax credits available to help apprentices complete their training. With the Canada Apprentice Loan, you can get up to $4,000 in interest-free loans per period of technical training. You can use the money to help pay for tuition, tools, equipment and living expenses, to cover forgone wages or to help support your family. Find out more at Service Canada.


Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) – Level 1 & Level 2

The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant is a $1,000 taxable cash grant available to registered apprentices once they have successfully completed their first or second year/level of a Red Seal trade. Service Canada must receive your application on or before June 30 of the calendar year following the date you passed your level training. Find out more at Service Canada.


Training Tax Credit – Level 3 and Level 4

The Training Tax Credit of $2,000 for Level 3 and $2,500 for Level 4 is claimed on your personal income tax.
T1014 BC Training Tax Credit Form


Apprenticeship Completion Grant (ACG) – Level 4

The Apprenticeship Completion Grant is a $2,000 taxable cash grant designed to encourage apprentices registered in a designated Red Seal trade to complete their apprenticeship program and receive their certification. Deadline to apply is June 30 of the calendar year following the date you completed and passed the Interprovincial Examination.
Get more information from Service Canada.


Apprenticeship Incentive Grant for Women (AIG-W) – Up to two Levels

The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant for Women (AIG-W) helps you pay for expenses while you train as an apprentice in a designated Red Seal program where women are underrepresented. The AIG-W is a taxable grant of $3,000 per level, awarded to registered apprentices. You can apply for this grant twice during your training (for a maximum of $6,000). Get more information from Service Canada.


Financial Assistance for BC Apprentices – Tuition Fees

Apprentices who are registered with the Industry Training Authority (ITA) and meet the eligibility requirement of an “insured participant” may be eligible to receive financial support for basic living expenses, childcare, commuting costs, travel costs, tuition costs and living away from home costs, in addition to maximum EI benefits.

Watch this video to hear Ashley’s experience with the learning process

Scroll to Top