Safety training is the employer’s responsibility. Some employers will pressure workers to pay for their own safety classes.
The Worker’s Compensation Act clearly states:
Section 115 (1) Every employer must…
(2)(e) provide to the employer’s workers information, instruction, training and supervision necessary to ensure the health and safety of those workers caring out their work and to ensure the health and safety of other workers in the workplace
Therefore it is the employer who pays for all safety training.
There are a number of safety courses that will be useful or mandatory for some jobs, and it will be helpful for you to have taken them.
- Hearing Card (WCB Hearing Test)
- Construction Safety Training System
- H2S Alive Course (Hydrogen Sulphide)
- First Aid (any level)
- WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System)
- First Aid Training — St. John’s Ambulance